Aqua Lung has been offering a new core-range regulator for a few weeks. Indeed, the Titan LX is no longer in the catalog since it has been replaced by the CORE. It is available in a tempered water version and in a SUPREME version for cold water dives less than 10 °.
We took the plunge to test this new equipment and see if it keeps all of its promises.
A regulator compensated with 1er and 2e floor
To overcome the pressure drop at the end of the dive in the case of basic pressure reducers, the manufacturers have improved by different means the mechanics of the first and second stages to cancel the force exerted by the high pressure (HP). The result is a stable average pressure throughout the dive. The compensated expansion valve is more comfortable for the diver.
A compensated floor 1er can be associated with a single or compensated second stage. For the COREAqua Lung chose to compensate for the second floor as well.
It is in the crystal clear waters of Playa del Carmen in Mexico that we took the plunge. Who can do the most, can do the least ... we took the CORE at a depth of 60 meters and dust ... just to validate its behavior.
No suspicious noise, no vibrations, the bubbles flow along the face without disturbing the vision, the Venturi shutter makes it possible to facilitate the inspiration if necessary… The comfort in the mouth is perfect.
A lightweight regulator
For many years, the champion of lightness at Aqua Lung has been the Mikron. Imagine that the CORE in the caliper version weighs only 120 grams more than the Mikron and in the DIN version there is only 80 grams difference. The CORE so is an excellent travel regulator.
|DIN floor 1er weight: 510 g||<——————–>||467 g: Weight 1er DIN floor|
|Weight of 1er Stirrup Floor: 700 g||<——————–>||617 g: Weight of 1er caliper stage|
|Weight of 2th floor: 175 g||<——————–>||138 g: Weight of 2th floor|
|Weight of 2th floor Supreme: 178 g|
NF EN 250 STANDARD
Le CORE is of course certified EN 250, the work of breathing is 0.84 J / liter which is much lower than the 2.5J / l required by the new standard. For comparison, the optimal work of breathing on a Legend is 0.67J / l and that of a Scubapro MK21 + S 560 is 1J / l.
And between you and me, I have never been able to differentiate between a regulator which requires an inspiratory work of 0.84 J / l and one which only requires 0.67J / l. I imagine that on larger amplitudes it must be felt, but at this stage ...
The tests are carried out at 50 bar (HP), 6 bars of ambient pressure (50 meters), with a ventilatory amplitude of 2,5 l (inspiration / expiration), the ventilatory flow rate is 62,5 liters / minute (25 cycles / minutes), the temperature must be 10 ° C and 4 ° C for the “cold water” label. Click here to learn more about these regulator curves
The patented ACD (Auto Closure Device) system
The ACD system is an automatic shutter system on the first floor. As soon as it is disconnected from the block valve, the 1er floor is protected from the surrounding environment. This patented innovation is available in stirrup and DIN version.
- Pollutants and water can not enter the first floor during rinsing operations or during storage.
- The first floor will retain its internal lubrication longer
- The lubrication of the internal parts is preserved.
- The peripherals (octopus, manometers, HP probes ...) are also protected.
The combination of dry chamber and ACD system provides total environmental protection. Moving parts are perfectly protected and isolated from the surrounding environment.
In summary, the highlights:
- The ACD system is an automatic closure device when the regulator is disconnected from the valve. It protects the mechanism from ingress of water and pollutants. It allows maintenance every two years and is suitable for Nitrox blends.
- Spare parts are common to Aqua Lung diaphragm regulators. The UNIVERSAL AQUA LUNG maintenance kit allows for maintenance.
- The exceptionally light T-first stage features pre-oriented outputs to optimize the orientation of the MP (4 outputs) and HP (2 outputs) hoses.
- The easy-to-handle Venturi flap helps to stop continuous surface flow and increase underwater flow.
- The second floor is equipped with the patented "COMFO-BITE" mouthpiece.
Cherry on the regulator
A great “little” regulator that works like a big one, if not better. Additional advantage if needed, Aqua Lung has redesigned its manufacturing processes to improve them. Result, the CORE is a regulator whose recommended retail price is 349 € but you will find in the trade for a little less than 300, which adds to its attractiveness.
The Aqua Lung website -> http://www.aqualung.com/
Download the product sheet -> CORE regulator product sheet
Thanks to Phocéa Mexico for its logistical support.